Student WriterThe Fresno Bee
The Fresno Bee has an immediate need for a student writer in its news division. Student writers are expected to monitor for breaking news and report newsworthy items under an editor’s direction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
The specific information provided below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position. This description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Must be able to seek out information that’s useful or interesting, to research it thoroughly and write clearly and compellingly in an organized fashion.
- Must be skilled at grammar and usage, and well-versed in AP style so that work needs minimal rewriting.
- Must be able to report and write breaking-news briefs/stories, primarily off the police beat.
- Must be able to cover breaking-news events as necessary.
- Must be able to write briefs off news releases.
- Must be able to monitor police scanner and other media for news items.
- Must be able to occasionally attend night meetings for stories.
- Must be able to occasionally report and write non-breaking stories that are deemed appropriate for the hours and competency of the position.
- Must be able to legally drive to assignments.
- Must be able to use basic job devices including a computer and telephone.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must be a student in good standing, preferably in college; relevant journalism classes; freelance work a plus; writing, reporting and computer skills needed.