ReporterThe Fresno Bee
The Fresno Bee has an immediate opening for a reporter in the news division. In the role of reporter, the successful candidate produces stories for the newspaper and website and contributes to social media.
The specific information provided below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position. This description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Seeks out news and information that’s useful, interesting or important, research it thoroughly, report it accurately and write it clearly.
- Contributes a steady flow of work—a mix ranging from quick briefs to substantial enterprise—to print and online editions.
- Develops sources and an understanding of the community and its issues.
- Meets deadlines.
- Answers questions from readers and represent the department to the public.
- Understands social networking and is able to use basic tools such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Keeps up with the news in The Bee and on fresnobee.com as well as other local and non-local media.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are generally representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Skills needed may vary according to the assignment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A reporter for The Fresno Bee should be able to:
- Write clearly and grammatically with sufficient polish that work needs minimal rewriting.
- Find compelling, interesting and important stories, and research them thoroughly through a variety of means, including interviews, the internet, and public records.
- Recognize the potential for photographs, graphics and online treatments such as links, supplemental documents, video, and audio.
- Connect with an audience and develop sources.
- Use social media as a reporting tool and to connect with an audience.
- Adapt to technological advances.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; two to three years related experience and/or training preferred.