Senior Investment Officer - Real Estate
NYC OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER JOB VACANCY NOTICE
The New York City Comptroller’s Office Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolio of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems), which is comprised of five pension systems. This $267 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers, and is largely invested in publicly traded securities, with growing allocations to private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge funds and opportunistic fixed income investments.
The Senior Investment Officer will assist in overseeing the investment activity of private real estate investments, which are valued at $12 billion on behalf of the Systems. Under the general direction of the Head of the division, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Working with the Systems’ consultants, identify, review and evaluate prospective investment opportunities; conduct due diligence on investment opportunities;
• Assist the General Counsel’s office in negotiating terms and conditions of new investment agreements and other related contracts. Prepare and present decision-making documents for internal Investment Committees and Boards of Trustees;
• Monitor and manage the portfolio of existing investments to ensure compliance with the terms of the limited partnership agreement and other contracts;
• Design criteria and parameters for research analyses on market trends, strategies, industries, sectors, geographies, and other topics as required; ensure the accuracy of partnership reporting, including the financial statements, quarterly reports, notices of distributions, capital calls and investment valuations;
• Overseeing the development of internal databases of existing investments including developing framework for analyzing the performance of existing investments, internal and external risk models; financial models and performing technical analyses;
• Review and make recommendations on amendment requests, consent notices and other contract changes; participate in limited partner advisory committee meetings, annual meetings and quarterly update calls;
• Utilize relationships with general partners to monitor fund developments; design reports to track Systems’ investment activity; and assist in developing agenda for investment conferences and other events;
• Delegate and mentor junior staff in all areas of the business; and,
• Perform related assignments or special projects as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Master’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, or a closely related field and four (4) or more years of full-time experience in a financial services organization with progressively increasing responsibility for complex financial transactions and considerable exposure to debt and/or equity commercial real estate or similar experience at a consulting firm or in a closely related area; or,
• BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university and six (6) or more years of full-time satisfactory experience as listed above; or,
• A satisfactory equivalent of education and experience mentioned above.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• 10+ years of experience in a financial services organization in debt and/or equity commercial real estate;
• Must possess expert knowledge of financial principles and concepts that are crucial to the underwriting and valuation of commercial real estate;
• Experience in portfolio management, structuring and monitoring;
• Excellent financial analysis, writing, presentation, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite applications.
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
The selected candidate will be subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the office’s Personal Trading Policy.
Note: We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Certain residency requirements may apply. Under Executive Order 75, all new City employees are subject to mandatory vaccination requirements. Vacancy notices listed as “Until Filled” will be posted for at least five workdays.
April 26, 2022 POST UNTIL: Until Filled JVN: 015/022/076
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer