External Retirement Counseling Manager - Retirement Services Director
External Retirement Counseling Manager
Retirement Services Director
About the Opportunity:
This position exists to supervise, plan, and direct the business functions of the Retirement Services External Counseling staff. The external counselors are primarily responsible to educate all members of the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS), to market and educate participants of the State pension Plans, Minnesota Deferred Compensation Plan (MNDCP) and Health Care Savings Plan (HCSP) and to act as a resource to State of Minnesota employers and their employees who participate in the MNDCP or HCSP. External counselors are located in all MSRS offices, including offices outside of the metro area; therefore, this position requires occasional travel throughout the State. This individual also serves as a FINRA Supervisory Principal for this department.
Minimum Qualifications –
Four (4) years* of professional experience administering a retirement program AND one (1) year supervisory or lead experience.
Three (3) years* of professional experience administering a retirement program AND two (2) years supervisory or lead experience.
*A Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business, and Finance, Economics or a closely-related degree may substitute for one (1) year of the required professional experience.
Experience must also include:
- Ability to make decisions and demonstrate strong leadership and interpersonal skills to organize, motivate, direct, and empower staff to achieve organization goals.
- Significant knowledge of retirement laws and regulations in the areas of benefits at the state and federal levels that govern and control work processes, systems, and functions.
- Strong human relations skills and diplomacy, including skills such as coaching, listening, conflict resolution, change management, problem-solving, meeting facilitation, etc.
- Communication and writing skills sufficient to express points of view clearly, logically, and convincingly to the Executive Director, Managers, Supervisors and agency staff.
- Project management experience, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
Preferred Qualifications –
- A Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business, and Finance, Economics or a closely related field is preferred.
- Possess the FINRA Series 6, 26, and 63 licenses and a Minnesota Life Accident and Health insurance license.
- Knowledge of Minnesota statutes as they relate to the administration of retirement benefits.
- Knowledge of 457 (b) plans, health reimbursement plans, and defined benefit plans.
- Knowledge of MSRS policies, procedures and past practices.
It is the policy of the Retirement Systems of MN that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
**The Retirement Systems will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.**
Why Work for Us:
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 56347
Posting Closes: 6/23/2022