Paralegal -Litigation Support
Position-Bureau: Paralegal -Litigation Support Salary: $44,083 (Annual)
** This position is in-office **
The Kings County District Attorney’s Office (KCDA) is one of the largest prosecutor’s offices in the country and is committed to developing and implementing innovative prosecutorial strategies that will fulfill our vision of keeping Brooklyn safe while at the same time ensuring fairness and justice for all.
KCDA has an exciting opportunity to work as a Paralegal. In light of the sweeping discovery reforms in New York State, our Assistant District Attorneys need more support in preparing their criminal cases. All of our cases involve fairly voluminous discovery, such as police reports, body camera footage, 911 calls, forensic files, security surveillance videos, and more. It is critical to our mission that our prosecutors obtain all the necessary discoveries and securely shares required information with the defense. New hires will assist with these important duties, and in doing so, will gain exposure to virtually every aspect of a criminal case.
Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the prospective candidate will perform the following duties:
- Prepare legal documents such as subpoenas, orders to produce, unsealing orders, material witness orders, and other documents.
- Serve and files legal documents to the supreme and criminal court.
- Act as a liaison with court staff.
- Interview civilian and police witnesses and secure all necessary information and prepare a brief narrative.
- Draft accusatory instruments utilizing knowledge of the criminal justice system, penal law, and another applicable status.
- Maintain a detailed log of cases recording the time that a case is received and subsequently completed.
- Complete all forms used in the preparation of case folders and review files to ensure that paperwork is in order, and accurately prepare any missing documents.
- Review supporting depositions and police paperwork for legal sufficiency and completeness.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or.
- An associate degree and two to four years of full-time satisfactory work experience in the performance of paralegal (legal assistant) services; or
- A Paralegal Certification from a program approved by the American Bar Association.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss it with the agency representative at the time of the interview.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
For Non-City/External Candidates: Visit the https://www1.nyc.gov/jobs/index.page and type Job ID #541002. For Current City Employees: Visit Employee Self Service (ESS) to view and click on Recruiting Activities, Careers, and search by Job ID #541002.
Loan Forgiveness Benefit:
Employees of the City of New York may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements: