Director of Creative Media
Director of Creative Media
George Mason University, a member of the A-10, is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Creative Media within the Intercollegiate Athletics Department. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages applicants who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Brand Content and Engagement for Basketball Programs: Manage all creative marketing and revenue generating communications content for men’s and women’s basketball, the department’s primary source of revenue. Create content focused on recruiting, increasing fan engagement, and strengthening the affinity towards George Mason Basketball. Content to include identifying and telling student-athlete stories, generating student-athlete focused content, and promoting in-game atmosphere to help drive attendance.
Social Media Content and Campaigns: Manage all creative strategy for men’s and women’s basketball social accounts to improve upon the more than seven million impressions across platforms in 2023-24. Explore the establishment of emerging social media trends and platforms for both basketball programs to better connect with recruits, prospective Mason students, and emerging target demographics. Oversee campaign development for player and team-centric initiatives while working with the Associate Athletic Director for Digital Media & Marketing and the basketball programs in these areas.
Video Production and Graphic Design: Create an innovative, multimedia identity for George Mason Basketball while maintaining the integrity of the brand and image of the department. Film, edit, and produce content for George Mason Men’s and Women’s Basketball games, including home, road, and championship events. Create, strategize, film, edit, and produce original and team specific video content for men’s and women’s basketball social media accounts reflecting each team’s brand and values. Develop and manage digital and multimedia content for social media platforms. Produce player-driven content to aid athletes in their navigation of NIL measures across college sports.
Recruiting Support: Serve as lead for creative video and graphic design needs (design, layout, and preparation) for George Mason Basketball recruiting. Work directly with both basketball head coaches to manage recruiting communications strategy and produce graphics and videos disseminated to potential future Patriots for recruiting. Create graphic design templates for commitment, signed, quote, and gameday graphics.
Collaboration: Collaborate with Men’s Basketball staff, Women’s Basketball staff, Patriot Productions, Marketing, Communications, Promotions & Corporate Relations, PlayFly, and others on department wide initiatives.
Direct Supervisory: Manage team of video and graphic design student workers, providing hands-on learning experiences for George Mason communications students.
Other Duties: Perform other duties as requested by the Assistant Vice President/Director, Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Advanced degree in related discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Previous experience working in a college athletics or professional sports organization developing creative content (video, graphics, etc.);
- Highly effective professional verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of current and emerging social media platforms and how to create, implement, and execute a social media strategy and calendar;
- Ability to manage projects from concept to creation;
- Ability to collaborate with multiple parties to best meet goals and objectives of men’s basketball program and athletics department;
- Ability to accept feedback as part of the creative process and educate clients on design theory and/or using that feedback to make work stronger;
- Significant, relevant experience in non-linear editing and professional videography. Ability to interpret and utilize brand standards;
- Demonstrated knowledge of currently utilized television, audio, multimedia production, and related video equipment and applications;
- Demonstrated ability to shoot video with the use of high-quality equipment;
- Knowledge of the professional and technical aspects of lighting, shooting, editing, composting, and creating computer graphics;
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to cover sporting events to include nights, weekends, and travel;
- Intermediate knowledge and the ability to operate Adobe Creative Cloud applications;
- Intermediate knowledge of video equipment; and
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of SportsCode.
- Previous experience working with a Division 1 men’s/women’s basketball program;
- Knowledge of NCAA compliance rules as it pertains to recruiting and social communications; and
- Experience with DSLR cameras/video cameras.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA76HZ at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.