Research Technician I (529390)
Research Technician I
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
The Hebert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Research Technician I to join our team of professionals on a temporary assignment.
- Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) or Lab trainees (grad students or post-docs), conducts basic research on human cells and tissues.
- Compiles all data in an organized fashion, assist with data presentation and with manuscript preparation.
- Conducts basic and/or complex procedures with the use of basic biochemical methods: Tissue culture, in vitro cell adhesion/migration assays, flow cytometry, real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR), Western blotting, SDS-PAGE, Immunoprecipitation, and protein electrophoresis.
- Responsible for inventory and ordering of general laboratory supplies.
- As needed, assists in regulatory Institutional Review Board (IRB)/ Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)/safety compliance of the laboratory and its members related to institutional guidelines.
- Records and evaluates data and presents results of research findings.
- Assist with laboratory training of new students, postdoctoral fellows, and collaborating scientists in cell culture and biochemical methods.
- Provides assistance with the supervision of part-time lab graduate assistants, volunteers and/or Interns.
- Performs essential duties in emergencies such as hurricanes, storms, and/or any other university emergency closing. Is expected to be available to report to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification from a department administrator.
- Works with minors and/or vulnerable persons who are research participants and/or volunteering in the laboratories.
- Performs other related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor's degree required.
Previous experience in a basic research lab, with preference to experience in cell culture, and knowledge of flow cytometry and western blot techniques.
To apply, please visit us on-line at https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/, click on “Prospective Employees” or “Current Employees” and search for job opening ID 529390.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.