The East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Court is seeking a Judicial Assistant. The general purpose of this position is to serve as a personal legal assistant to the Judge. The Judicial Assistant manages all aspects of the daily operations of the Judge's office.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
Performs highly responsible administrative and clerical work involving specialized duties of a legal nature. Work may involve preparation and processing of court records including court dockets and court orders; verbatim recording of court proceedings; assigning court dates for live and virtual hearings; typing legal documents; coordination and assistance with both virtual and live court hearings, meetings and trainings.
Employees of this classification should be familiar with legal terminology, legal format, and legal forms. Independent judgment is exercised in the performance of assigned duties. Incumbents maintain information and records of a highly confidential nature; and perform other work as assigned.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to establish rapport with clients and families served, including dealing effectively with all races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, genders and orientations.
- Ability to deal with a wide variety of people, exercise diplomacy in demanding situations, and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to make responsible decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of word processing and familiarity with other software in order to prepare legal documents.
- Knowledge of methods of preparing business correspondence, memoranda, and legal documents including proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and basic math.
- Ability to apply knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures, English, spelling, punctuation and basic math.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with supervisors, attorneys, officials, coworkers, personnel of correlating agencies, and the public.
- Ability to organize and establish work priorities, work independently in the absence of supervision, and to exercise sound judgment in non-routine situations.
- Skill in written and oral communications for effective expression and clarity.
- Ability to understand a wide variety of legal processes and procedures.
- Ability to be proficient and adaptable to various software and computer programs.
- Ability to handle diverse tasks while maintaining attention to detail for accuracy.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all matters relative to the Office of the Judge and the Juvenile Court.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent certificate of competency, and experience in progressively responsible clerical duties of a legal nature, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Must be open to training to become a Certified Digital Report (CDR) at the expense of the Juvenile Court.
Starting Salary: $30,681 annually subject to a 3% increase following the successful completion of a six (6) month introductory period. Available benefits include: medical and dental insurance coverage; participation in the City-Parish Employees’ Retirement System (CPERS); paid vacation and sick leave.
Donna T. Carter
Judicial Administrator/Human Resources Director
East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Court
8333 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
Baton Rouge, LA 70807