Traffic Equipment Operator ICOUNTY OF FRESNO
Traffic Equipment Operator I $32,682.00 - $41,808.00
Annually Fresno County's Department of Public Works & Planning is currently accepting applications for entry level Traffic Equipment Operators.
The County of Fresno Department of Public Works and Planning is currently accepting applications from individuals with experience operating heavy equipment for the position of Traffic Equipment Operator I in the Road Maintenance and Operations Division.
The Traffic Equipment Operator I is primarily responsible for signing, striping, and other pavement marking on County roadways.
Note: The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra-help and permanently allocated positions. Individuals selected for extra-help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group III - Heavy Physical Activity (Personnel Rule 8). This group includes positions which require heavy physical effort using arms, legs, back and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) over 25 pounds. Generally, considerable bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved. Physical stamina is usually required and explosive strength using bursts of energy may be required, depending upon specific position assignments.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
Samples of Duties:
The information listed below is meant to serve as samples of job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed. Consequently, this information does not reflect Essential Functions for any given position in this classification.
- Installs, replaces, and removes a variety of regulatory, informational, and warning signs utilizing a wide variety of hand and power tools.
- Operates pavement striping and marking equipment; loads paint and reflective glass beads in pressurized containers.
- Marks pavement using templates and spray guns (e.g., "STOP AHEAD", "PED XING").
- Operates a pickup and larger trucks including, but not limited to, nurse truck, sign truck, stencil truck, and striper truck. Uses hand and power tools including, but not limited to, wrenches, post driver, pavement line grinder, and hand striper.
- Manufactures and refurbishes various traffic signs using sign making and power shear equipment.
- Performs cleanup of minor roadside debris and removes weeds around intersections and signs.
- Keep tools and equipment in working condition.
- Maintains records of work accomplished on a daily basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- State Motor Vehicle Code as it applies to the operation of Class B vehicles;
- Principles and practices of traffic maintenance and control;
- Methods, procedures, tools, materials, and equipment used to manufacture, refurbish, install, maintain and repair road signs, road striping, and pavement markings;
- Laws, codes, and regulations as they pertain to traffic signs, road striping, and pavement markings;
- Mechanical operation of hand and power tools and equipment used in the trade;
- Proper maintenance of tools and equipment used in the trade;
- Record keeping principles and practices;
- Principles and practices of effective customer service;
- Safe practices while working in traffic and on the job.
- Operate a variety of traffic signing equipment, pavement marking equipment, and tools in a safe and efficient manner;
- Manufacture, refurbish and install various types of traffic signs;
- Maintain and repair traffic signing and pavement marking equipment;
- Conduct traffic control, including the placement of cones and warning signs;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Read and understand job-related materials;
- Work compatibly with a crew as well as independently;
- Demonstrate and maintain a high degree of initiative, maturity, integrity and good judgment;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels as well as other agencies and the public;
- Utilize full range of physical motion to perform physical labor to remove debris from roads;
- Lift/carry supplies and equipment such as sign posts, signs, sign striping and repair equipment necessary to perform job tasks;
- Perform the installation and repair of signs;
- Travel to work sites located in outlying areas;
- Work outdoors, sometimes under adverse climatic and hazardous conditions.
Experience: One (1) year of full-time, paid work experience equivalent to that gained as a Traffic Equipment Operator Trainee with the County of Fresno.
License: Possession of a valid Class "B" driver's license, or equivalent, with endorsements for air brakes.
Note: Candidates may be required to participate in the County's Drug and Alcohol Testing Program, which includes an initial and subsequent random testing, as required by Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Apply by 12/15/17. An Equal Opportunity Employer.