Parks Groundskeeper ICOUNTY OF FRESNO
Parks Groundskeeper I
Annual Salary: $27,274 - $34,892 Fresno County has excellent employment opportunities available for individuals interested in the position of Parks Groundskeeper I.
Parks Groundskeepers are utilized within the Resources Division of the County's Public Works and Planning Department and the Fresno County Library's Facilities Division. Parks Groundskeepers are primarily responsible for maintaining County parks, grounds surrounding County Library facilities, recreational facilities, scenic drives, and other grounds surrounding County buildings. The positions require the ability to work weekends including Sundays and holidays.
Note: The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra help and permanently allocated positions. Individuals selected for extra help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group III - Heavy Physical Activity. This group includes positions which require heavy physical effort using arms, legs, back and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) over 25 pounds. Generally, considerable bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved. Physical stamina is usually required and explosive strength using bursts of energy may be required, depending upon specific position assignments.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties:
- The information listed below is meant to serve as samples of job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed. Consequently, this information does not reflect Essential Functions for any given position in this classification.
- Uses hand and power equipment to plant, irrigate, fertilize and maintain lawns, plants, shrubs and trees. Power equipment includes but is not limited to push and self-propelled mowers, dump trucks, water trucks, front-end loaders, backhoes, aerial platforms, hole augers, truck-trailer units, and chain saws.
- Gathers and disposes of leaves, trimmings, trash, and other debris.
- Performs routine maintenance and repair of facilities, tools, and equipment.
- Cleans and maintains park restrooms and picnic facilities.
- Transports and delivers supplies and equipment.
- Applies corrective pesticides and herbicides as directed.
- Installs warning signs and sets up cones to control traffic as needed for maintenance projects, flooded grounds and other hazardous areas.
- May assist Parks Maintenance Workers in the repair and construction of park facilities.
- May transport and supervise alternative sentenced adults, inmates and/or juvenile work program participants.
- May train and lead seasonal and temporary employees.
- May collect fees, assign campsites, and explain campground rules to the public.
- May assist and receive training in tree trimming processes and procedures under the direction of a Tree Trimmer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Operations of hand and power equipment and tractors;
- Proper maintenance and repair procedures of tools and equipment used in park maintenance operations;
- Cleaning chemicals;
- Basic landscaping concepts for mowing, watering, applying fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and rodenticides;
- Proper planting and pruning techniques for a variety of trees, bushes, and other plants;
- Traffic control techniques and procedures including the placement of cones and warning signs;
- Basic record keeping principles and practices;
- Principles and practices of effective customer service;
- Principles and practices of on-the-job safety and use of personal protective equipment.
- Mow and edge lawn areas; perform general grounds maintenance duties;
- Safely and efficiently operate a variety of parks and grounds tools and equipment;
- Safely operate and repair irrigation systems;
- Understand and follow oral directions;
- Read and understand job-related materials;
- Safely and efficiently perform traffic control including the placement of cones and warning signs;
- Work outdoors, occasionally under adverse climatic and hazardous conditions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels as well as other agencies and the public;
- Demonstrate and maintain a high degree of initiative, maturity, integrity, accountability and good judgment.
Equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer.