WASTEWATER TREATMENT OPERATORCITY OF MADERA
DEFINITION: Under direction, leads, oversees, reviews and performs the full array Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator duties including operations, controls and maintenance work in one or more Public Works wastewater treatment plant facilities; demonstrates a full understanding of all applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties; performs other related duties as required. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: The Wastewater Treatment Plant Lead Operator is the lead level class responsible for a wide variety of plant operations and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plants, and incumbents are expected to perform the full scope of assigned duties. This classification is distinguished from the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator III in that the former occasionally assists in the training of lower level Public Works Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator I positions. SUPERVISION RECEIVED/EXERCISED: Receives general supervision from the Wastewater Treatment Plant Manager. May exercise functional and technical supervision over assigned operators. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
• Leads, oversees, reviews the work of assigned operators and operates, inspects, cleans, repairs, replaces and maintains pumps, motors, filters, and related equipment; and performs general, grounds and preventive maintenance and repairs in and around plant facilities; and operates vehicles and other equipment.
• Supervises and conducts on-site inspections of plant operations, insuring that operational problems are identified and corrected; insures that plants are operating within safety standards established by Federal, State and local laws, ordinances and regulations; provides training for less experienced personnel.
• Oversees and performs basic skilled water pollution control laboratory testing and analysis; monitors the operation of industrial wastes instrumentation for proper monitoring; adheres to quality assurance programs for laboratory analysis and instrumentation.
• May assist in the training of lower level personnel.
• Prepares and updates reports including records and logs. WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT LEAD OPERATOR Page 2
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public. WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. The position also requires both near and far vision when inspecting work and performing maintenance on assigned equipment. The need to lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing 25 pounds or more is also required. Additionally, the incumbent in this position works in all conditions including wet, hot and cold. The incumbent may use cleaning and lubricating chemicals which may expose the employee to fumes, dust and air contaminants. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to climb ladders and work in confined space. QUALIFICATIONS: (The following are minimal qualifications necessary for entry into the classification)
Education and/or Experience: Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a Wastewater Treatment Plant Lead Operator. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess the equivalent of three years of experience in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment laboratory or the performance of related work, and a high school diploma supplemented with appropriate coursework in laboratory testing and analysis. License/Certificate: Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid class C California driver’s license. Possession of a Grade III Certificate as a Wastewater Plant Operator from the California State Water Quality Control Board. KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES/SKILLS: (The following are a representative sample of the KAS’s necessary to perform essential duties of the position) Knowledge of: Principles and practices of wastewater treatment plant operations; repair, maintenance and adjustment procedures for wastewater treatment plant equipment; Basic principles, practices and methods of basic laboratory testing methods and procedures; Federal, State and local laws governing wastewater and industrial waste monitoring and control; characteristics and problems involved with wastewater and industrial water analysis; general maintenance and repair work; laboratory safety standards and programs; occupational hazards and standard safety practices; methods and techniques for basic report preparation and writing; methods and techniques for record keeping; basic principles of supervision; methods and techniques of training personnel. Ability to: WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT LEAD OPERATOR Page 3 Lead and train subordinate staff; plan, organize and carry out maintenance and operations of a water plant; basic wastewater testing; collect a variety of samples for laboratory tests; maintain accurate records and prepare comprehensive reports; perform plant operation and maintenance assignments; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships. Skill to: Safely and effectively operate the tools and equipment used in wastewater plant maintenance and laboratory.