Legal AssistantCITY OF MADERA
City of Madera (559)661-5400, Filing Deadline 3:00 P.M. 5/04/2018.
Construction Inspector II $1,808.26-$2,308.19/Bi-Weekly
Under general supervision, performs varied, difficult, confidential and often sensitive office administrative, paralegal and office support functions in the City Attorney’s Office; performs other related duties as required.
The Legal Assistant is the single position class which is responsible for providing office support andparalegal services on a wide range of legal issues in areas of assignment for the City Council, City departments, and related agency Boards and Commissions. The position requires a thorough knowledge
of legal procedures, timelines, terminology and court rules. Assignments will vary in difficulty and complexity based upon the incumbents’ experience, expertise and demonstrated proficiency.
Receives supervision from the City Attorney.
Essential Functions: (include but are not limited to the following)
• Drafts memoranda, correspondence, transmittals, ordinances, resolutions and other documents and reports; proofreads and checks written materials for accuracy, completeness and compliance with City standards and legal requirements; responds to requests for production of documents; organizes, copies, mails, faxes, and arranges delivery of court documents and exhibits; compiles and maintains complex and extensive records and prepares appropriate reports; provides office support services to the City Attorney.
• Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls; provides information and handles issues requiring sensitivity and use of sound independent judgment; reviews, prioritizes and routes incoming correspondence;
• Maintains the master calendar for the City Attorney’s Office; verifies and monitors timelines for all legal filings, appearances and deadlines; establishes and monitors litigation files; organizes and maintains general office files; orders and updates legal reference materials and maintains the law library; reviews and monitors budget line items for accuracy and compliance with budget limitations.
• Assists with the preparation of documents and legal research at the direction, and under the supervision of the City Attorney; prepares legal documents and pleadings relating to civil and criminal litigation, formal legal discovery, discovery document summarization, and trial testimony transcripts; reviews, evaluates and prepares criminal complaints for City departments; conducts legal research projects, including state and federal statutes and codes; prepares contracts, deeds of trust, owner participation agreements, and disposition and development agreements.
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports, legal references and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and face to face service. The need to lift, drag, and push case files or other materials weighing up to 25 pounds also is required.
Qualifications: (The following are minimal qualifications necessary for entry into theclassification)
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities for a Legal Assistant. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess the equivalent of three years of progressively responsible secretarial or office administrative experience, including one year of paralegal experience in a law office, a highschool diploma, or equivalent, and satisfactory completion of an accredited paralegal training
program. Completion of twenty-four semester units towards a Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA or California State accredited school of law may substitute for the required paralegal training program.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid class C California driver’s license.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: (The following are a representative sample of the KAS’s
necessary to perform essential duties of the position)
Law office administrative and management practices and procedures; basic functions and organization of municipalities and public bodies; modern office procedures, methods and equipment, including a computer and applicable software; principles and procedures of record keeping; English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation; terminology, forms, documents and court rules and requirements used in legal practice and proceedings; applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations; legal reference materials research techniques; statutory deadlines for responding to and filing court documents and techniques for legal calendaring.
Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Work Place.